Friday, June 10, 2011

timing chain on

There are a lot of tasks that I can do to an airhead motorcycle without a manual or any hesitation because I have done them so many times before. So, I am a whole lot humbled by this weeks work where I seem to have to do everything twice to get it right. I am in new territory and am learning. More on that later.
To get the timing chain on I followed Snowbum's and Tom Cutter's advice. I checked (more than once during this process) to see that the flywheel is showing OT and that the alignment marks on the sprockets are lined up. I wrapped the chain on and then pinned the ends together from the front with the old master link. I found that the best place for this operation was to position the master link to the left of and between the two sprockets. That is where I found the most room to manipulate the new master link from behind the chain to chase the old link out.
The clip goes on so that the fish swims upstream, clockwise rotation of the chain.
Yea! So far so good! Let's put the tensioner and the shoe on now. Oh, wait, I can't get the tensioner spring and cap in place because they have to go on before the timing chain. Fine, take the timing chain off, put the spring in the cap, put the cap in place in it's bore and tape it in tight with electrical tape. Now I can put the timing chain on for the 2nd time and install the tensioner.
I installed the timing chain cover with the gasket dry. The cover slip fit over the crankshaft bearing without being heated up. That worried me a little bit. I don't see any signs of the bearing race spinning in the cover but just in case I put some drips of locktite on the outer race.
I had pulled the starter motor out before because I had noticed a bolt on the solenoid had backed out and I couldn't torque it in with out pulling the starter. Before the starter goes in I take the opportunity to replace the gaskets on the crank case breather housings. Put the diode board, alternator and ignition bean can in and attach the wires. Just to get a feeling of accomplishment I put the alternator cover on. It is beginning to look like an engine again.

No comments: