Monday, June 6, 2011

rear main seal, oil pump cover, clutch inspection

The weekend was for going to work on Saturday morning and ripping out old shrubbery Saturday afternoon, playing bass guitar Sunday morning like nearly always and then back to landscaping the front yard on Sunday afternoon. Motorcycle? wait for it ....
I am in a training class at corporate headquarters this week so I will maybe able to get home 'early' most of this week. Let's see if I can get some stuff done incrementally.
I replaced the o-ring on the oil pump cover and then installed the rear main seal. When I got to the point of reinstalling the fly wheel I realized that I had gotten the oil pump o-ring and the flywheel ID  o-ring mixed up. I wonder sometimes if I am capable of doing these things. I wonder sometimes if this is going to leak oil worse when I am done then when I started.
wrong:
 I was wondering why I had to smear on a light coat of gasket sealer if there was such a fat o-ring on there. Now I know.
Here is the next bugger. I think that the rear main seal may have gone on too far. I think that it is supposed to be flush with the casting. After reading different instructions and thinking that I knew what I was doing .... I am not so sure. Note to self: ... adjust the set screws on the installer tool to about 3mm and stop, relax the installing tool and check before cranking it all the way down. This one is recessed by about 1-2mm, I don't know if that is critical but we will find out.
I had some clutch work done soon after I purchased this motocicleta but my record keeping was not so good at the time. I know that the friction disc was replaced but I am not sure about the plates. From the looks of things the outside clutch plate was not replaced. I could get a good fingernail or better of ridge on the outside of the plate indicating that it had worn pretty deep. Compared to a clutch plate that I pulled from a 1979 R100RT that had no discernible ridge on the outside, I decided to swap in the 1979 and set the 1980 aside. I measured up the other parts as I could and I am within spec on those. Cleaned 'em up, prepped 'em and go make some Italian sausage sandwiches ... for tonight.


No comments: