Wednesday, June 8, 2011

clutch installation v.2.0

Shortly after I bought the T I had to have some clutch work done on it and I assumed that what I took apart now was what Glen had assembled then. I called Glen and asked him to remind me what the reason was for gluing the spring plate into the flywheel What? He has no idea why someone would do such a thing. Are you sure that you didn't do this back 5 years ago when I had that work done? He is so sure. So, the only alternative is that I had disassembled the clutch and brought the parts to him to be inspected. Gosh I wish that I had done better record keeping. That is partly why I am doing this blog.
So, since no one can tell me why it would be advisable to glue the plate to the flywheel, just because that is the way that I took it apart, then there is no good reason to put it back together that way. I took it back apart, cleaned up the silicon mess, put on a thin layer of Guard Dog molly be damned on the fingers and on the base edge and put it back together. That is no big deal, much less than an hour's work.
While I was on the phone with Glen he told me that my timing chain should be here tomorrow and that he was going to be closing early on Friday (Road America this weekend).
I got a voice mail from Godfrey that my centerstand was done. Godfrey (Jeff Stephens, see MilVinMoto) has done welding work for me before, he modified my motorcycle hauler for instance, I am always amazed by his level of workmanship. All I wanted him to do was to lay in some gobs of weld to fill in the holes that had worn though the bottom of my Reynolds ride-off. When I went to pick it I had to look at it for a minute to figure out if it was really mine and what the heck had he done to it. He didn't just fill it in with gobs, he had basically restore the original shape of the centerstand to look like it had never been set on before. Nice job!
I got this in the mail today, too. What I should have had a long time ago, I was reminded by a post on this BMWMOA Airhead thread, a Cycle Works wheel bearing lube adapter tool. I can lube the wheel bearings on the rear wheel easily enough but I need this to keep my front wheel bearings maintained. There should be a sticky thread in this forum just for special tools; whether they be factory, standard manufactured or home-made. I'd like to see that. I'd also like to see me get off this computer before this storm strikes and the power goes out. All I can hear is wind, thunder and sirens. signing off.

No comments: