Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Click that ratchet to tighten

Gilera, you know Gilera, the German BMW that somehow gave me the same feeling as my first motorcycle (1st vehicle) what was an Italian Sears Gilera 124. Actually, Gilera is a 1980 BMW R100T, favorite for unexplainable emotional reasons. Also the most neglected when it comes to care. Ride it, ride it hard, put it away wet. Abusive. I have known for a long time that there are things that need to be taken care of to keep this thing on the road but other 'priorities' always bumped Gilera. Until I finally put her up on the lift, when was that, a freaking year ago, i don't remember. Still progress was slow and intentions were good. What has helped is that I sold the R100RS so now the R100RT is the only roadworthy. That gives me more funds and more time and less roadworthy maintenance. I have been working on Gilera but it has always been in the remove/take apart/disassemble mode. Today I just realized that I hit the bottom of the valley and am beginning to climb up to reassemble time. I have almost nothing else that I can take apart off this carcass and while I am waiting on parts I began to reassemble the rear fender/turn signals/brake light.
The heads are out for inspection and rebuild. I am getting a new cam chain and crankshaft sprocket. When I get the timing chain cover back on I can get back to replacing the rear main seal. I am down to the bare bones on the engine block and while waiting on parts I am working on some of the body parts.
Body parts? Yep, Frankenbike.
This is a 1980 R100T.
The valve covers are from a 1974 R75/6.
The nikasil cylinders are from a 1981 R100.
The clutch plate is from a 1979 R100RT.
The front end forks, brakes, electronic ignition, etc. are from a 1983 R100RS. I am not going to tell you about the trick suspension stuff that is in there.
The polaris silver paint set with the blue pinstripe is from a 1981 something. (?)
The seat is from a 1978 R100/7.
The cast aluminum turn signals are from something before 1975. The front ones came from a 1974 R75/6 and I am not sure what the rear ones came from, I just picked them up in Pecatonica this year.
The brake light is from a /6 but I may replace the lens with an early /5 before I am done.
The San Jose BMW steering top plate is from a 1983 R100RS.
The San Jose reinforced swing arm is from a 1975 R60/6 cafe project (basket case).
The Reynolds luggage rack is from a 1976 R75/6.
The crash bar is from ?
The hand guards are from a R80G/S.
The transmission is from, oh , I forget right now, you get the general idea. The cream rises to the top and Gilera gets the best parts that I can find.





No comments: