Saturday, June 11, 2011

done with the bottom end

I was thinking that I was finally done with the bottom and and had to wait on the top end stuff to come back to continue on with any engine work but that it dawned on me that the oil pan, oil filter and connecting rods do not have to wait for anything. As it turned out this was a wonderful way to work on the oil pan, you don't often get this kind of perspective on the bottom of the engine.
I was able to clean and inspect the block bottom like never before. I touched up a few spots of the aluminum casting and was able to check all the threads. I found one thread that was damaged; someone had previously run a longer bolt into it. I chased it with a tap and put a socket head bolt in to differentiate from the others. I also marked it with paint so that I will remember next time that this one is damaged. They all torqued down OK. I put on the gasket dry, no sealer, as I felt confident like never before about the sealing surface.
The connecting rods went in without a hitch. It is nice to be doing each task only ONCE and getting it right the first time. Now I am into things that I have done before.
Is this like the Pepsi can in the movie scene? I should be some compensation for this!!
Now bottom end done!!

No comments: