Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Upgrade instrument cluster

This bike came without any speedo or tach; no instrument cluster at all. Way back when we located and won an eBay unit from Germany. This is a newer type with an electronic tach instead of the mechanical cable driven one. That is not a problem; it can be converted easily enough. What I didn't think about was the way that the indicating lights had been rearranged, both physically and electrically. At first I thought that I would just rewire it in the headlight shell. Nope, the plug from the instrument cluster goes straight into the main wiring harness. I cut the cable about a foot down from the plug and rewired it there by solder splicing them back together. That worked nicely.


Then I ran a separate wire the ended outside the cluster in an automotive connector. I hooked this up to a wire that I ran to the points wire on the coils. Now I have an electronic tach.

No comments: