Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Gilera's Attention

I burned up the 1st bottle of propane this year.
I have the swing arm off, the exhausts off and the transmission out. It is time to study on the rear main seal replacement. I have gotten to the point where most stuff is done without a manual except to look up torque settings and the like but when it comes to something like a rear main seal, getting past the clutch and flywheel, ... I got to study on that.
I am not happy about the condition of the transmission input spline shaft. Shortly after I got Gilera, in the first big go-over, I had replaced the clutch so that spline bore is practically brand new. The spline shaft was worn a little but I let it go. Now, I think that I had better look into what it would take to replace this.






Side bar:
When I bought Huckleberry, the R100RS, the only thing that bugged me was that it was a red smoke. I don't like red motorcycles. And then when I bought the R100RT I was pleased with the black paint with white and red pinstripe but was disgusted to find out that there where hidden repairs to the fairing and fairing frame. That problem was solved by swapping out with a good R80RT fairing but, you could have guessed it, it is ... red, Colorado Red. That works and got the RT the name Toad.
No simple stories when it comes to my bikes. At Pecatonica this year my big score was a complete and perfect Polaris Silver paint set with blue pinstripes. The plan is it dress Gilera up really nice with this as her Polaris Silver is aged and not quite matched, no pin stripes on the fenders, etc. Normally I pay for a purchase with this by selling the parts that are being replaced. Well, the idea popped into my head that Huckleberry sure would look good in silver. What to do about the fairing though. Here is what I experimented with today:



Mmmmm .... no. It looks raggedy patched up and brings out the worst in the worn out red fairing. There is a fella in Indianapolis that is going to cafe the RS that he just bought. I offered to come down there and take it off for him ... it is a recent paint job that from all the digital pictures looks really close to Polaris Silver. Certainly a closer match than this! Money is tight right now. but still ...

No comments: